Nuevo Arenal is located on the northern shores of Lake Arenal, Costa Rica. This is a beautiful area in north central Costa Rica, a little northwest of the iconic Arenal Volcano. Liberia Airport (LIR) is within two and a half hours and San Jose Airport (SJO) is about four hours away.
Map & Location of Nuevo Arenal
Driving Directions to Nuevo Arenal
From San Jose
- Take the Inter-American Highway (Route 1) Northwest (passes directly in front of Juan Santamaría International Airport) until you reach San Ramón (approximately 56 km from the airport). The main San Ramon entrance is on the right-hand side of the highway. You will see a road sign for San Ramon and another for Arenal Volcano, there is a small mall that can be used as a landmark.
- Turn right toward San Ramón and continue straight on the main road until you reach a “T” in the road.
- Turn left and continue 2 blocks to the San Ramón Hospital. You will see a sign for Arenal Volcano and various Arenal hotels.
- Turn right, following the signs approx. 2 kilometers. You will come to a green church and see signs for Arenal to the left.
- Turn left, always following the signs to Arenal and various Arenal and La Fortuna hotels.
- This is a windy drive through the mountains. Along the drive, you will pass through the towns of Los Angeles, Balsa and then Bajo de los Rodríguez. When you reach Bajo de los Rodríguez, there will be a fork in the road, and a small police station and toll booth (optional payment).
- Turn right at the this police station toll booth. Continue on this road until you reach a bridge.
- Cross the bridge. There will be another bridge to the left. Cross that bridge and continue to the stop sign (the town of Santa Clara).
- Turn left (after turning left, there will be a soccer field on the right). Continue on this road through the town El Tanque and other villages approximately 35 kilometers until you reach La Fortuna.
- Once you reach La Fortuna, continue straight through town. You will pass a Burger King on the right, continue straight. Follow the paved road to the dam, cross the dam, continue following around Lake Arenal for approximately 35 minutes until you reach Nuevo Arenal.
- From Daniel Oduber Airport, take Rt. 21 North to Liberia.
- When you reach the stop light at the intersection with Rt. 1, turn right (east) towards San Jose.
- When you reach Canas, turn left (north) on Rt. 142 following signs to Tilaran, Arenal Volcano and area hotels.
- When you reach Tilaran there will be a gas station on the right, turn left continuing on Rt.142 towards Arenal Volcano.
- Follow Rt. 142 until you reach a “Y” in the road just before Lake Arenal. Bear left continuing on Rt. 142 around Lake Arenal for approximately 30 minutes until you reach Nuevo Arenal.